While 1937 is considered the "founding year" of the SMU Press-it was on June 1, 1937, that Bishop John M. Moore, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, first announced the establishment of the Press, and on November 22 that the first book was published (Samuel Wood Geiser's Naturalists of the Frontier, in an edition of 755 copies)-the publishing activities of SMU, and the roots of the Press itself, reach considerably farther back. From the time the quarterly Texas Review was moved from the University of Texas to SMU and renamed the Southwest Review in 1924, a dedicated handful of forward-looking professors, themselves serving without pay and sometimes short of funds to pay the printer, fostered publications that would have reflected credit on an institution a hundred years the senior of SMU.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 License
"The First One Hundred Books: A Brief History of Southern Methodist University Press—1937-1964,"
Journal of the Graduate Research Center: Vol. 33:
2, Article 1.
Available at: https://scholar.smu.edu/journal_grc/vol33/iss2/1